So. I’m going to try to get back into posting here regularly – I have so many projects and suburban homesteading adventures and I feel like we should keep track of them someplace. First of all, let’s start with an update.
- We have baby chicks! This is our newest, arguably biggest, adventure this spring. We have 4 sweet little chickies (the legal limit for our suburb of St. Paul); an Isa Brown, an Americana, a Black Australorp, and a Polish Buff Laced. Just look at that magnificent poof of hair. Photo courtesy of Hoover’s Hatchery, where our chicks hail from. So far all appear happy and healthy – they celebrated their 1 week birthday this past Sunday and the child is in love!
2. We have a newly built chicken coop and garden storage shed. I’ll post about that separately, but for now suffice to say that we’ve been painting and preparing the place to host our ladies.
3. I’m finishing up a hand spinning class hosted by the wonderful Weaver’s Guild of Minnesota at the Textile Center of Minnesota. Our last class tomorrow is on plying our yarn but I couldn’t wait and cheated with you tube. I’m sure I’m picking up lots of bad habits I’ll have to kick later, but hot damn, I’m making yarn! I’m hooked.
4. The garden is going in. It has grown since last year. The husband calls it garden creep and he isn’t wrong.
5. I think I want to (learn to) dye? With plants? I dunno, that would be cool.
Hopefully I will follow through with details and some fun times with all these endeavors… but you never know, I might not?? I will try 🙂